
in clinical psychology.Copyright 1997 Reed Business Information, Inc. . From Library Journal A revisionist biography by Noll, who has a Ph.DRockefeller, who moved to Zurich to be near Jung and spent millions of dollars to help him launch his religious
- Title : The Aryan Christ: The Secret Life of Carl Jung
- Author : Richard Noll
- Rating : 4.89 (224 Vote)
- Publish : 2016-7-15
- Format : Hardcover
- Pages : 336 Pages
- Asin : 0679449450
- Language : English
in clinical psychology.Copyright 1997 Reed Business Information, Inc. . From Library Journal A revisionist biography by Noll, who has a Ph.DRockefeller, who moved to Zurich to be near Jung and spent millions of dollars to help him launch his religious movement. Noll marshals a wealth of evidence to create the first full account of Jung's private and public lives: his advocacy of polygamy as a spiritual path and his affairs with female disciples; his neopaganism and polytheism; his anti-Semitism; and his use of self-induced trance states and the pivotal visionary experience in which he saw himself reborn as a lion-headed god from an ancient cult. Richard Noll traces the influence on Jung's ideas of the occultism, mysticism, and racism of nineteenth-century German culture, demonstrating how Jung's idealization of "primitive man has at its roots the Volkish movement of his own day, which championed a vision of an idyllic pre-Christian, Aryan past. As Richard Noll writes, "Jung is more interesting because of his humanity, not his semidivinity." In giving a complete portrait of this twentieth-century icon, The Aryan Christ is a book with implications for all of our lives.. Now, in this controversial and impeccably researched biography, Richard Noll reveals Jung as the all-too-human man he really was, a genius who, believing he was a spiritual prophet, founded a neopagan religious movement that offered mysteries for a new age.The Aryan Christ is the previously untold story of the first sixty years of Jung's life--a story that follows him from his 1875 birth into a family tFor instance, I could have predicted the Nazi rising in Germany through the observation of my German patients. When I was debating whether or not to buy this book, I found one seemingly scholarly review that called it "bad history" and, just now wondering whether I should say what I am about to write, I did further searches and found several other, seemingly reasonable reviews which take Noll to task for bad scholarship. So, as one should always, I will try to remain open to the possibility that I have been misled. Many many styles here! If anything ill could be said about this book, it would be that it doesn't have a second edition. I, Pages 160-163I have included in it an essay by a Jewish author on the psychology of the Old Testament, just to annoy the Nazis and all those who have decried me as an anti-Semite. Noll repeatedly tries to counteract that understandable tendency, saying for example (last paragraph of the Introduction) "But the most troublesome part of this story comes from asking you, the reader, to do the morally impossible: to imagine a world - fin-de-siecle German Kultur - in which the words "Hitler" and "Nazi" and "Holocaust" do not exist."Along these lines, it helps to remember that many intelligent, respectable, well-meaning Americans (e.g., Lindberg, Joseph Kennedy Sr.) were early Nazi supporters, just as many were early Communist supporters. ~Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I was l


No comments:
Post a Comment